Wide Open Space acknowledges and pays respects to the Arrernte people – Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land we festival on. A massive THANK YOU to the Ryder family, who are the custodians for the Ross River Resort & N’Dhala Gorge area.
For three days, Wide Open Space nestles into the majestic MacDonnell Ranges. We are temporarily stitched into a patchwork of rocks, River Redgums and sand. The land has seen many transformations; 700 million years ago the geology was laid down, and 400 million years ago it went through tectonic upheaval to form the Ranges…it’s been patiently waiting for you ever since.
Some people think of Central Australia as the ‘middle of nowhere’. We like to think of it as the ‘middle of everywhere‘ – the bellybutton of the country, a place to get centred. Wide Open Space promises to feed your mind, tickle your artistic fancy and get your booty shaking. It is a chance to connect with like minded individuals and celebrate the beauty of this incredible landscape while having one helluva hoedown.
2021 will be the 11th WOS (after a year to rest in 2019 and getting COVIDed in 2020). The festival is made possible by a dedicated crew of magnificent misfits and is the only event of its kind in Central Australia. For many, it provides the opportunity to experience the heart of our country for the very first time. For the people of the NT, it’s a major marker point on the calendar that the year revolves around.
In addition to the fine music & arts program (go here for more details on that), WOS also offers a tasty selection of Workshops, a dedicated kids space&program and a well-stocked Market Place with food, crafts and other delights.
At Wide Open Space we work hard to create a safe and fun space where you can truly feel free to experience the best that life has to offer. For us to do this safely and for the benefit of all, we do need to introduce some guidelines that need to be followed. Festival Management reserve the right to refuse entry and also to remove people from the event at it’s discretion with no ticket refund should any of these issues arise.
“GOOD PEOPLE” POLICY
Is what a gathering like this thrives on. Quite simply it goes like this: DON’T BE A DICKHEAD. Jumping the fence, theft, aggression, sleazy behaviour or abuse of any kind and any general douchebaggery will not be tolerated and you’ll be escorted off the property with no ticket refund. Just don’t…..it’s embarrasing for everyone. We believe most of you legends are “good people”. Please prove us right! Look out for each other and make WOS2021 safe and fun!
The festival runs from Friday 6pm to Sunday midnight. Public arrival time is Friday midday. The gate will be open until 10pm each night after which noone will be admitted. The deadline for departure is midday Monday (for anyone not working/volunteering on pack down). Please ensure you are well rested and sober and able to leave the venue safely by this time.
HARASSMENT / CREEPINESS
We want WOS to be a safe and healthy space to party in. Zero Tolerance of any anyone displaying predatory behaviour, sexual harassment or unwanted attention of any kind. Consent is sexy.
We have both first-aid and 24hour paramedics onsite. Please present to the Operations Centre for assistance or grab someone with a radio for any emergencies.
WOS has a well-stocked licensed bar. That means we cannot allow any BYO alcohol into the festival. This includes the campgrounds. Car will be searched on entry and any alcohol found will be confiscated.
WASTE & SUSTAINABILITY
WOS strives to be as environmentally responsible as we can. We have been working with the NT Dept of Health to be the first certified usage of compost loos at an event in the NT (and hopefully set up an easy framework for other events to do the same), re-usable cups at the bar (that you purchase at cost and keep as a souvenir) and biodegradable plates and cutlery for the food stalls.
Here are a few things you can do to minimise your impact:
- Reduce single-use everything. Remember you have to take it ALL home with you…so start with reducing how much you bring. Don’t expect us to clean up after you! Bring water in jerry cans, bring your own re-usable water bottle etc.
- Carpool with your friends – fun and ecologically conscious!
- Keep a cigarette butt container in your pocket. Old film canisters work well.
- Bring your own plate, bowl, mug, cup, cutlery and reusable straw and use these instead of single use items. You can take them to the food stalls too, even though the stalls use biodegradable stuff you can still avoid these and reduce even more waste.
- Before you leave your camp please clean it carefully.
Real talk: In 2018, a young man lost his life driving home from WOS. It was devastating for his family and friends, the community and the event team. Accidents do happen, especially when fatigue is involved. Please drive safely and don’t EVER drive when intoxicated.
- Make sure you have slept enough before doing the drive.
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol or any other substances
- Expect RBT’s and/or Drug Swab Testing going into and out of the festival. This is in the interests of public road safety for both the event and the local community and we can’t stress enough how important it is to make sure you are well rested and sober before driving to/from the festival.
- Animals and stock are known to wander onto the road between Ross River and Alice Springs. SLOW DOWN and give yourself time to react.
No dogs are allowed onsite, with the obvious exception being seeing eye/certified assistance dogs.
Due to fire risk, no campfires are allowed. We have a few big fires in the event area to keep you warm while you party.
Volunteers make the world go round! Apply HERE